17 March 2008

These boots were (not!) made for walking

Going to the fish markets for sushi on Saturday turned into a day long affair and was mostly great fun. We parked at Darling Harbour and walked to the Rocks Markets, and I can tell you that whilst it doesn't actually seem like it's that far, by the time we got to the markets we had worked up a good sweat! Unfortunately for me, I had to make a pit stop at a chemist and get some band aids as for some strange reason, my runners have been absolutely ripping my heels apart lately! I can literally have them on for about 2 minutes and I can already feel a blister starting to form. So after buying the biggest band aids I have ever seen and covering every spare inch of skin on my heel with them, I was ready to go again. Or so I thought. I then started to develop a blister on my 4th toe on one of my feet, so I had to stop again! By this time poor hubby was starting to get a bit frustrated with me, but I told him he either had to put up with it, or put up with my whinging for the rest of the day! Once I had suitably re-band aided myself, we were off walking again. By the time we'd walked around the markets we had probably been walking for a good 2 hours, and this wasn't a leisurely walk either. My hubby walks particularly fast, and he told me I had to keep up which was good as it got my heart pumping a bit more than it otherwise would have if I was on my own. You see, I'm not a great fan of walking and can dawdle with the best of them. I can go to the gym for hours on end, and use every machine possible, but you'll only get me on the treadmill for 15 minutes at most. And I'm sure that generally speaking, when your feet are bandaged up to the point that you need a larger sized shoe, it becomes even less fun! Though having said that, now that I am fitter, it was a really fun day. It was such a gorgeous day out in the sun, and wandering around town with my hubby was a nice change of pace for us. We very rarely get to spend real quality time out and about together. One of us always seems to have something on, or we've got friends parties, weddings, work....I can't remember the last time before the last couple of weeks that we've had an entire weekend free, and I wasn't about to let a few blisters ruin it!

Sashimi was scrumptious as usual, and I was very excited to find a tiny bottle of champers in the bottle shop across from the sushi shop that I could have for only 2 points. Seeing as I was being taken out for lunch to celebrate my hard work and weight loss, and the only way I generally know how to celebrate is with a champers in my hand, I figured I should have one! Speaking of wine, I also discovered the lindemans early harvest wine on Friday night. It's low alcohol, about 8.5% as compared to about 12 or 13% for a normal white wine, and therefore lower in calories. And I must say, it wasn't too bad. Hubby and I are serious wine lovers, most of our holidays over the last few years have been to wine regions - Clare Valley, Yarra, Hunter, McLaren Vale, Barossa, Mudgee....you name it, we've been there (now you know why I said in my first post that the weight didn't really creep on for me, I knew exactly where it was coming from, especially when you consider the amount of cheese we ate on these holidays!) so I expected to not like it at all, but I thought it was a pretty suitable replacement at the moment. Given that the footy season started on the weekend, and I love to have a drink or 2 while watching the games at home on the Friday or Saturday night, I didn't really want to go without, and I certainly didn't feel as though I did. If WW is to be a true lifestyle choice for me, I have to find suitable alternatives to the things I love, and whilst I certainly wouldn't sit down and drink the whole bottle in one go, I don't feel like I've wasted points if I have a glass or 2.

I have also been to the gym every day this week apart from Thursday (and Saturday I guess, but I figure a 3 - 4 hour walk around the city more than makes up for that!), so I can honestly say that I am looking forward to weigh in on Wednesday for perhaps the first time ever. If I don't lose weight, I'll at least know that I did everything in my power to make it happen.

2 comments:

Blogger K L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blogger K L said...

Just wanted to say good luck for your WI tomorrow!

Kat xx

(Goalweight65 on ww boards)