Well, what a weekend I had! In my ultimate wisdom a week or so ago, I decided that hubby and I should go on a bushwalk somewhere and have a picnic. So on Saturday we headed out to the Blue Mountains, complete with grilled chicken, 2 salads and a couple of low fat brownies I'd made as well as copious amounts of water (I had a feeling I was going to need it!). We decided on a bushwalking area around Wentworth Falls called the Valley of the Waters. There were several tracks to pick from and I wanted to do several of the easy ones, but hubby convinced (well, maybe not convinced so much as instructed!) me otherwise and we started off on a medium difficulty track that was supposed to take about 3 hours according to the sign.
My first impressions were not good! I am a clutz at the best of times and seeing as the entire downhill part of the track was stairs, without a railing, and also quite damp and slippery, I was a little concerned. Especially when we got to about 3 flights of steel stairs - that was not fun! I had ridiculous visions of me falling and breaking my ankle and being stuck down in this valley while my hubby had to go for help only to not be able to find me when he came back and me dying out there! A little dramatic? Maybe, but I had real visions of it happening! We had to use stepping stones to cross rivers, there were plants covering the tracks, mud and puddles everywhere....it certainly wasn't what I had in mind when I decided I wanted to go bushwalking! We literally descended down into the valley until we reached the valley floor....a LOOOONG way down which meant a LOOOONG way back up! But if I wanted some decent exercise, I was certainly going to get it!
The journey back up was certainly interesting...I tried to make my hubby pretend he was the Commando from the Biggest Loser and kick my arse to make me get back up the stairs. It worked in some spots, where I actually did sprint up quite a few very steep stairs, but not so much in others...damn me for being so headstrong and stubborn! I lost count of the amount of times I nearly slipped and considering that some spots were a little dangerous and there were no rails, that was not so exciting.
We eventually made it to the top but we had somehow managed to come out at a different spot to where we started and where we'd parked the car! I was damned if I was going back into the bush so we ended up walking a couple of blocks on the highway to get back to the start - I've never been so glad to see a bitumen road in all my life!
Our picnic was lovely - all low fat of course - and the sun had finally come out so it had started to warm up. When we started our bushwalk it was so misty and foggy that we couldn't even see these so called 'beautiful waterfall views'! That annoyed me no end!
We then drove to Leura and walked around there. Hubby bought me a beautiful pressie from a candle/homewares shop for all my hard work and for not even flinching when we walked into a deli to get a drink and I was faced with about 20 gorgeous cheeses!
Yesterday I was completely buggered, and my thigh muscles are screaming at me wondering why I tortured them, but I'm really glad I did it. I didn't think I could, but I proved that I'm stronger, more determined, and even fitter than I thought. I can't wait to go back and do the same walk again when I'm fitter again and see how much it hurts next time, but god I'm hoping it doesn't hurt as much cause I think my thigh muscles might have to make an appointment with a tube of dencorub!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Em.
Well done on the bushwalk. It's always such a sense of achievement when you accomplish something like that. A few weeks ago, I did a 7km walk. I was only planning on heading out for 20 mins and then turn back, but when you get going and when you finish, the feeling is awesome.
Just think how great it's going to be next time.
That's such a good idea, and even though it sounds tough, what a good way to spend the day with your husband. I'm inspired!
Post a Comment