12 April 2010

Yes Drill Sargeant!!!

Tonight I start Boot Camp. Yes, you read correctly. BOOT CAMP. I am a wreck with nerves but I know that this is truly what I need at the moment. The last 2 weeks have been a bit of a disaster for me. Not with food, just life in general. I got a letter from my doctor saying that another blood test result had come back and it was abnormal so I needed to have a catscan done of my kidneys (apparently this hormone is made in the adrenal glands which are on the kidneys - who knew?!). So I was rather panicked about that. It then took me weeks to get an appointment with the endocrinologist that my gyno had referred me to. So it had been a rather stressful few weeks as apparently one of the causes of this hormone level being high is a tumour on the adrenal gland. Thankfully there was nothing there, but that meant there was no explanation for the level of hormone that was present. What can I say, I like to keep people guessing!! Unlike the gyno though, the endocrinologist thinks I should go on medication, but we're going to keep going for a month or 2 and see if I can lose weight before we make that decision. But basically in that time I've just been losing and gaining the same half kilo which needless to say is driving me mental.

So I came to a conclusion. I have 7 weeks (slightly less now) until we go on our cruise meaning I have 7 week to get my body back to a state I am comfortable with. I needed something with a definite timeline. I needed something to commit to. So boot camp seemed like the logical (although slightly insane!) choice. 3 nights a week for an hour I will be put through my paces in a bid to get me feeling somewhat comfortable in a pair of togs. I might not be able to get to a size 10 by the end of this, but if I can just get down to where I was a year ago, I know I'll feel a whole lot better and that is about 7kg away. A tough ask, but I've got to give it my best shot. I got sick of the cruise being 12 weeks away, 10 weeks away, 8 weeks away.....and me not really doing anything about it. Sure, I was still exercising, still doing the spin classes etc. but I needed a shake up. And I'm not sure I can think of anything better to give me a complete mind and body shake up! I need someone to yell at me to do things (well, maybe not yell AT me per se, I don't take kindly to people being so in my face and I'm likely to yell back!!!) and I need people to do it with. I need to do something completely out of my comfort zone, for the sake of my body and mind. I need to do things that I never do, boxing, interval training etc. Things that are going to make my body say 'holy shit, what the hell is going on?!', followed by the (hopefully) inevitable weight loss and muscle gain.

So wish me luck, and if you don't hear from me again, just assume I collapsed in a heap!!!

No comments: